Friday, April 12, 2013

The Eye of Medusa

I am someone who loves items that have some cool back story, so when  my birthday  came and my friend got me a necklace, I was thrilled. This is because the necklace that was given to me is called the eye of Medusa. My friend had gotten it on a trip to turkey.Ii looked into the lore about it and found out that it is a charm used as protection against anyone that would try and harm me. According to Ovid, Medusa turned anyone who looked her in the eye to stone. This necklace is supposed to do just that to anyone with impure intentions. It is also an item that is to ward off any evil spirits set to harm someone. This necklace's charm is also known as the evil eye in other cultures which was used as a means to curse ones enemies. If the person who wears this charm feels envy towards another, then that person is cursed. (That part of the myth is a little dark for my taste so I'm going to stick with the story that it is a protective charm, not a cursed object).
                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment